WARNING ! ! !

Warning: The contents, thoughts, and expressions revealed here are the responsibility of the writer. These rarely represent others' views of reality. It should be considered the outward manifestations of a mind with two viewing ports and limited auditory and tactile reception. . . not to be confused with your own or someone else's manifestations. . . Your tolerance is greatly appreciated.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lesson plans, Pwihks, and Community funeral help



Another week flew by.  I measure it’s passing in algebra lessons, and my success by the ease of their presentation.  Currently I must prepare each lesson individually and review my notes before and during the class.  I didn’t realize how stressful this could be – or I had forgotten.  Now I find myself studying the material and weighing the order of topics, the method of presentation, and the choice of appropriate applications.  Nothing just flows.  Gone are days when I could look at the book for a few minutes on the weekend and I would know what I would do for the coming week.  Perhaps the 2nd semester, when I repeat the class, I will recapture that flow. . .

This week the two pwihks gave birth to 21 piglets.  In the 1st batch, one was born dead, but the other 8 were fine.  The 2nd mother has delivered 12, all healthy.  This makes about 28 under 1 month old.  There will be some good eating come Christmas!










 Our neighbor’s father had been in the hospital off-island for heart treatments.  He and his wife have been gone for several months.  His condition worsened and he died at the beginning of the week.  So the entire neighborhood and most of his relatives have spent this week in preparation of his return.




The neighborhood has been busy cleaning and making room for a large group of relatives and friends who will be coming for a funeral. 


 
 The ground in front of the house was cleaned.  Crushed rock and coral were delivered and spread.  Awnings were raised.  Cinder blocks were used for the crypt.  Lots of food was prepared and sakau was pounded and shared with all.



Everyone, including the young, has been pitching in; some moving gravel, some raking, some cooking. . .


 





The mourning and the recognition of his life will not be held until he and his wife arrive by plane and he is prepared for burial.  This will be next week.  Until then, no member of the family is alone.  There are cousins and uncles, aunts and grandchildren, and friends and friends of friends, all helping, or supervising the helpers. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment